Friday, March 4, 2011

Capomo

Capomo, ramón, ojoche, mojote, breadnut, hari, ox, tlatlacóyic, nazareno, mojú...there must be something in a tree that has so many names.

Around here it's called capomo, botany taxonomists named it Brosimum alicastrum, a plant in the mulberry or fig family (Moraceae).

Rosa's work is very important, and the initiative she supports is gaining momentum around this area. You can check the Maya Nut Institute's website.

I'm sure you'll find lots of interesting information on the web; here's a good link with
info about its culture (in spanish), part of the Tree Seed for Farmers in Central America Manual from OFI/CATIE. Link to the capomo sheet.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the seeds Rosa brought and then putting them into the soil with all. Thanks!




















Capomo, ramón, ojoche, mojote, nuez maya, hari, ox, tlatlacóyic, nazareno, mojú...algo debe de tener un árbol que tiene tantos nombres.

Por estos rumbos se llama campo, y los taxónomos botánicos lo han nombrado Brosimum alicastrum, una planta de la familia de las moras y los higos (Moraceae).

El trabajo de Rosa's es muy importante y la iniciativa que ella apoya está agarrando impulso en esta zona. Pueden checar la página del Maya Nut Institute's.

Seguro encuentran mucha información interesante en la web; aquí hay algo sobre su cultivo, parte del Manual de Árboles de Centroamerica del OFI/CATIE. Link al capítulo del capomo.

Tuve una grata sorpresa al ver las semillas que trajo Rosa y luego sembrarlas en la tierra con todos. ¡Gracias!

1 comment:

Mark Graham said...

Hola!

On my recent trip to San Pancho I stopped in at Entre Amigos to watch my niece's capoera class. Afterwards I checked on the community garden which I helped to plant in the spring of 2011. The capomo plants had come up and most of them dried out and died. I took a couple of the surviving plants inside and asked Kim if I could take them for my brother and sister who live in San Pancho and she said yes.

Another woman who works at Entre Amigos said I could water the remaining plants. The garden hose did not reach them so I moved them to within reach and watered them. There are about 25 plants still alive.

My sister in law told me about Rosa. Just now I read this blog entry and see that Rosa provided the seeds. Kim may have already followed up on this but I recommend that Entre Amigos contact Rosa and ask if she wants to help find homes for those remaining 25 plants. Somebody ought to offer them to people in San Pancho to take home and plant.

Thanks for all the work that you do and all that you give to San Pancho. I really enjoyed planting seeds last Spring with Joaquin and Poqi.

Mark Graham
Sacramento, California

Post a Comment